Lifeline of Ohio is partnering with the CW Columbus to honor high school student-athletes for their achievements inside and outside the classroom. Over the next ten weeks, Lifeline of Ohio will be sponsoring the CW Columbus' Scholar-Athlete award, given to twenty students of schools featured in weekly high school football matchups on the station's Thursday Night Lights program. Recipients of the award will be chosen by their school's athletic director and will be selected for their academic and athletic achievements, as well as their involvement in their community. At the conclusion of the season, recipients of the weekly award will be provided the opportunity to submit a video essay outlining why they should be considered the student-athlete of the year, and vie for the opportunity to be awarded a $3,000 college scholarship. The weekly finalist will be announced at halftime of all Thursday Night Lights games, which debuts August 29, 2019, at 7 pm on the CW Columbus.
Lifeline of Ohio Scholar Athlete contest rules
WWHO / CW COLUMBUS / LIFELINE OF OHIO SCHOLAR ATHLETE
SCHOLAR ATHLETE CONTEST RULES
Contest: WWHO / CW Columbus / Lifeline Of Ohio Scholar Athlete
Station: Sinclair Communications, LLC dba WWHO
Station Address: WWHO, 1261 Dublin Road, Columbus, Ohio 43215
Contest Area: Ohio Counties: Crawford, Hardin, Marion, Morrow, Knox, Coshocton, Guernsey, Union, Delaware, Licking, Madison, Franklin, Fairfield, Perry, Morgan, Fayette, Pickaway, Hocking, Athens, Ross, and Pike
Participating High Schools: Participating schools are those high schools selected by the Station to participate in the Honda’s Thursday Night Lights, presented by Columbus State Community College’s live broadcast: Centennial High School, Grandview Heights High School, Walnut Ridge High School, Watkins Memorial High School, Johnstown High School, Licking Valley High School, Bloom Carroll High School, Hamilton Township High School, Logan High School, Chillicothe High School, Bishop Ready High School, Columbus Academy High School, Independence High School, Marion Franklin High School, Westerville Central High School, Olentangy Orange High School, Worthington Kilbourne High School, Hilliard Bradley High School, St. Francis Desales High School, and Bishop Hartley High School.
Age of Eligibility:
Entrants: Must be the athletic director, head coach and/or principal of a Participating High School
Nominees: Must reside within the Contest Area, be currently enrolled as a Senior at a Participating High School during the Contest Period; be an active member in one (1) or more of the Participating High School’s athletic programs or teams (i.e., football, soccer, cheerleading, etc.); and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Sponsor(s): Lifeline of Ohio
Prize Provider(s): Lifeline of Ohio
Contest Period: August 14, 2019 to January 9, 2020
Nomination Entries Due:
Week 1 - Centennial High School v. Grandview Heights High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on August 22, 2019
Week 2 – Waltnut Ridge High School v. Walkins Memorial High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on August 29, 2019
Week 3 – Johnstown High School v. Licking Valley High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on September 5, 2019
Week 4 – Bloom Carroll High School v. Hamilton Township High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on September 12, 2019
Week 5 – Logan High School v. Chillicothe High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on September 19, 2019
Week 6 – Bishop Ready High School v. Columbus Academy High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on September 26, 2019
Week 7 - Independence High School v. Marion Franklin High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on October 3, 2019
Week 8 – Westerville Central High School v. Olentangy Orange High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on October 10, 2019
Week 9 – Worthington Kilbourne High School v. Hilliard Bradley High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on October 17, 2019
Week 10 – St. Francis Desales High School v. Bishop Hartley High School - by 5:00 PM EDT on October 24, 2019
Scholarship Entries Due: 5:00 PM EST on December 12, 2019
Entry is limited to one (1) Scholar Athlete nomination per Participating High School and One (1) Scholar Athlete of the Year Scholarship entry per Scholar Athlete of the Week.
Judging Criteria: Academic achievement (25%); Athletic achievement (25%); Community activities (25%), and Creativity of video submission (25%)
Winner Determination Date: January 9, 2020
Number of Winners on each Winner Determination Date: One (1)
Total Number of Winners for the Contest Period: Twenty (20) Scholar Athletes of the Week and One (1) Scholar Athlete of the Year
Prize(s) and Value(s): Each of the twenty (20) Nominee Scholar Athletes of the Week will receive a plaque (Prize Value is $25.); and may be featured in an on-air promotion which may air WWHO. Due to the nature of the prize, a value for the feature cannot be determined. Total Prize Value is $25.
One (1) Lifeline of Ohio Scholar Athlete of the Year will receive a plaque (Prize Value is $25.); and a scholarship in the amount of Three Thousand Dollars ($3,000.) to the college or university he/she plans to attend. The scholarship check will be made payable to the school of choice of the winner, for the benefit of the winner. Total Prize Value is $3,025.
Station’s Website: http://cwcolumbus.com
Station’s Website Terms and Conditions: http://cwcolumbus.com/station/terms
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
All capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth above.
Who Can Enter
1.To be eligible to participate in the Contest, Entrant must be an athletic director, head coach and/or principal of a Participating High School. By entering, entrants agree that the nominee, not the entrant, is eligible to win the prize.
2.Nominees must reside within the Contest Area, be currently enrolled as a Senior at a Participating High School during the Contest Period; be an active member in one or more of the Participating High School’s athletic programs or teams (i.e., football, soccer, cheerleading, etc.); and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Parents of Scholar Athlete Nominee must not work at Nominee’s Participating High School. Nominees will be disqualified if their parent(s) work at the school that they attend. Nominees, or the parent/guardian of Nominee if a minor, must sign an appearance release and may appear in an on-air Station promotion.
3.Residents and Citizens of the European Union are not eligible to enter or win this Contest.
4.Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., and the Station (collectively, the “Company”), Sponsors, Prize Providers, contest software providers, social media platforms, their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, and any other relatives who reside in the same household with employee.
How to Enter and Win.
1. Entrants from each of the Participating High Schools will nominate one (1) high school Senior athlete (either male or female) to be the Scholar Athlete of the Week for the Participating High School. Each Scholar Athlete of the Week will be notified by his or her athletic director, coach, or principal. Additionally, each Scholar Athlete of the Week will be required to complete an informational form and sign an appearance release, which must be received by the Station by close of business 7 days prior to the Station’s broadcast of the Participating High School’s football game.
2. Each week during the Contest Period, two (2) of the Participating High Schools will participate in the Honda’s Thursday Night Lights, presented by Columbus State Community College. high school football game which the Station airs. The Nominee Scholar Athletes of the Week from each of the Participating High Schools playing that week will be recognized as the Scholar Athletes of the Week for their respective schools and may appear in an on-air promotion which may air on Station throughout the week.
3. Each Nominee Scholar Athlete of the Week will be eligible to win the Scholar Athlete of the Year Scholarship (the “Scholarship”). Only Nominee Scholar Athletes of the Week may enter to win the Scholarship. To enter to win the Scholarship, each Nominee Scholar Athlete of the Week must submit One (1) two minute (2:00) video in the form of DVD, broadcast tape, Video CD or electronic video file (i.e., .mov, .mpeg, .wma or .avi only) produced solely by the Nominee Scholar Athlete of the Week outlining the following four topics: (i) Grade Point Average/Academic standing, (ii) Athletic Achievement, (iii) Community Activities, and (iv) Why Nominee deserves the Scholarship. If any Nominee Scholar Athlete of the Week does not complete and submit the video portion of the entry to the Station by 5:00 PM EST on December 12, 2019, then the Nominee Scholar Athlete of the Week will be disqualified. Entries shall be mailed to Station Address, c/o Sara Greer. Station is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected mail/entries or for printing errors. Alternatively, entrants may upload the video to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. By entering, Nominee Scholar Athletes of the Week i) represent and warrant that the video submitted is their own original work and does not violate the rights of any third parties, ii) agree that the Station has the right to use Nominee’s appearance, likeness and voice, iii) agree that the Station may use the video submission in any and all media, and iv) agree that the Station may edit or crop the video submission without Nominee’s advance permission.
5. On the Winner Determination Date(s), one (1) Scholar Athlete of the Year will be determined from among the Scholar Athletes of the Week based on the Judging Criteria. In the event of a tie, the tied Scholar Athlete of the Week with the highest grade point average will be the winner. The decisions of the judges shall be final.
Contest Terms and Conditions
1. Station is not responsible for lost, late, garbled, or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction. All entries, including any required submission, received that are duplicate, mutilated, tampered with, incorrect, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries, including any required submission, become the property of the Company and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information. Station is not responsible for any technological malfunction, or human error relating to the Contest.
3. All entries must be entrants’ original work and should not be/have been submitted to, published or broadcast by any other publication or media company. The video entry may not contain any copyrighted or trademarked material including but not limited to: photograph likenesses of or references to celebrities or known persons alive or dead, recorded music, published works from books, magazines, newspapers, plays, song lyrics, scripts, essays, articles, web site content, or clips from television programs or movies, sports footage, official logos of any organization, existing artwork or graphic design. Entrants cannot use copyrighted music in the video; only original or uncopyrighted music.
4. Prizes are provided “as is” without any express or implied warranty of any kind including warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purpose. Prizes are subject to the Sponsor(s) and/or Prize Provider(s) standard terms and conditions, and expiration dates. For any ticket related prizes, Station, Sponsor(s) and Prize Provider(s) are not responsible if any event or performance is cancelled or postponed.
5. Each winner, after verification by Station of winner’s qualifications through his or her school, will be notified by email or phone. Before claiming any prize, each winner must provide his/her correct name, address and telephone number to Station at the time of notification. Each winner must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within three (3) days of notification (or less due to prize use time constraints), at the time winner claims his/her prize in person at the Station. Each winner must show picture identification to claim his/her prize. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding any prize based on the identification presented.
6. If a winner cannot be notified within two (2) days, or does not timely sign and return the release and affidavit of eligibility, then the winner will be disqualified, the prize will be forfeited, and time permitting, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner, which shall be determined in the same manner as the disqualified winner. If time does not permit for an alternate winner to be selected, then the prize will be forfeited, and the prize will remain the property of the Station.
7. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for any prize except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No sale, transfer or assignment of any prize is allowed.
8. Each winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules. Each winner must sign a W-9 form.
9. Only one prize will be awarded per household if more than one prize is awarded. Entrants are eligible to win only one prize within any 90-day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
10. The Company is not liable if the provider of any part of a prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
11. The Company, Sponsor(s), and Prize Provider(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded in the Contest. By entering, entrants agree to release the Company, Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, and each of their respective parent, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all claims, loss, damage or injury as a result of or incident to his/her participation in the Contest or his/her use of the prize. Entrants further acknowledge and agree that if a winner, the Company has the right to publicize entrant’s name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that entrant is a winner of the Contest for promotional purposes, without financial remuneration.
12. Complete Official Rules for the Contest are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at the Station and on the Station’s Website. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Station at the Station Address within thirty (30) days of the last day of the Contest Period.
13. The Station has the right to disqualify any entrant it determines has not complied with the Contest Rules. All decisions by the Station shall be final and binding relating to this contest, including the interpretation of the Contest Rules. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the contest dates. Station reserves the right to cancel/terminate, modify or suspend the Contest if in Station’s sole determination it believes that the integrity of the Contest has been, or could be, compromised or that the Contest is not capable of running as planned or fairly, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or force majeure or any other causes beyond the Station’s control.