MENU

Man dies after being pulled from burning home

east columbus deadly fire1.jpg
One man was killed in an early morning house fire in east Columbus. A second man was able to get out of the home safely (WSYX/WTTE)

A man who was rescued from his burning home in east Columbus early Wednesday morning died from his injuries shortly after he was rushed to the hospital.

Firefighters were called to the home on South Hampton Road around 3:30 AM. They say two men were living in the home, but one was able to get out and was not injured. Crews found the victim in his first floor bedroom and rushed him to the hospital, but he died shortly after at 4:15 AM. Officials identified the victim as 49-year-old Anthony D Rutledge.

Firefighters say the home is unlivable after the damage from the flames. Authorities say it appears the fire started because of a pain left on the burner of the stove.

They also say the roommate was upstairs sleeping with the door closed when the fire started, which likely saved his life and allowed him to get out of the house safely. He is being helped by the Red Cross.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER