Caught on video: Columbus Police investigating alleged excessive force

Rob-Alleged police brutality.jpg
(Courtesy: Michael Woodson-Levey)

Michael Woodson-Levey has taken a lot of pictures and videos with his cell phone, but nothing like what he captured when he started recording at the Livingston Market on September 1, 2017.

Woodson pulled out his cell phone around 10:30 p.m. when he saw Columbus police trying to subdue Timothy Davis.

"I go to that store all of the time, and until then, I've never seen anything like that before, especially in person," Woodson-Levey said.

The four-minute video posted on Facebook, which alleges police brutality during the arrest, has been shared more than 40,000 times since it was posted a few days ago.

Court documents obtained by ABC 6/FOX 28 show police officers identified themselves to Davis and advised him he was under arrest. The report stated Davis resisted as officers grabbed him and he tried to pull away. It said Davis also took an officer to the ground as he was fighting and biting at police.

"Once I saw that it was going to escalate further, I pulled out my phone and started recording," Woodson-Levey added.

Davis appeared in court in a wheelchair after injuries he said he sustained from the incident. Woodson-Levey said Davis' family contacted him after spotting the video on social media.

Now, it's prompted an internal investigation by the Columbus Division of Police, and it was part of discussions at Monday night's Columbus City Council meeting. Speakers who had concerns about allegations of excessive force in Davis' case - and others - demanded answers from city leaders, and Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs.

"I don't want to hear that an investigation is underway. You did that before. So we are giving you seven days to explain this video to the people of Columbus," said Tammy Fournier-Alsaada with the People's Justice Project.

Fournier-Alsaada said the group that showed up to the council meeting would return next Monday looking for a resolution and answers as to the future of the officers involved in the case. Chief Kim Jacobs said it could take much longer for a thorough investigation.

"Mr. Davis was arrested based on warrants for his arrest. There was a struggle, police reported force, so we will look into that," Jacobs said.

Columbus Director of Public Safety Ned Pettus Jr. said his office is working closely with the chief on the investigation. Chief Jacobs also urged anyone with additional information about the case to contact the Columbus Division of Police.